Sunday, January 9, 2011

Greens and Bacon: A Perfect Combination

Here's another great way to use kale. It really is one of my favorite vegetables and people are always asking me what to do with it. This recipe came together because of the ingredients I just happened to have in my fridge and was trying to use up. I was making a very simple breakfast consisting of a green onion omelet on a slice of sprouted grain bread, but I wanted something else with it and here's what I came up with:

Ingredients:

1 tsp butter
1 green onion, chopped
1 - 2 slices of bacon, cooked and chopped. (I had some leftover from a recipe I made earlier in the week)
1 fresh bunch of kale roughly chopped into 1.5" pieces.


Directions:

Steam the kale. Steaming the kale should take about 5 minutes, and the leaves should be bright green. Meanwhile in a non-stick pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the green onion and cook for about 1 minute. Add the steamed kale and bacon to the pan and stir to combine the ingredients. Season to taste with salt and pepper. I found that the saltiness from the bacon seasoned this dish perfectly and I didn't need to add any salt or pepper. Serve immediately.

Makes 2 - 4 servings (I ate the whole thing! It was that good)

This easy and delicious recipe can easily be served as a side dish to any weeknight dinner or a weekend brunch. It's a great way to get your greens!

Photography by: Melissa LeBlanc

No comments:

Post a Comment