Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Ode to my Grand-Maman

I have a section on my website that describes who inspired me in my life to love and appreciate food, and one of the first people who comes to mind is my 'grand-maman'.  I have such vivid memories of when I used to stay at her house, and she would wake up at the crack of dawn when everyone else was still sound asleep.  I would wake up and make my way to the kitchen.  I can still see the bright morning sun shining through the dining room window, she would be sitting at the table reading the newspaper and eating breakfast.

It wasn't long before the house would be buzzing with many aunts, uncles and cousins stopping by for a late-morning visit, and next thing you know, there were ten people sitting around her kitchen table enjoying a light lunch.  She would always have a plate of cut-up vegetables on the table, a basket of bread and a couple of cheeses to accompany a home-made soup.  There is one soup in particular that is famous in my family thanks to her, and that is her Soupe aux Palourdes (clam chowder).

Yesterday was Victoria Day and one of the wettest we've had in a long-time.  It was one of those days where you just wanted to stay in and eat a warm bowl of soup... and that's exactly what I did! I make this soup on a regular basis because it's so simple to make and it's full of flavours that bring me right back to my childhood and every time I make it, I think of her.  Now, when I make it, I'm sure it's not precisely the way she used to make it, but it still tastes the way she used to make it, so here it is:

 Soupe aux Palourdes

Ingredients


6 servings

2 tbsp butter or olive oil*
1 onion, diced
2 Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
2 cups of water
1 - 2 bay leaves
2 cans whole baby clams with their water
1 (16 oz) can evaporated milk*
3 tbsp butter*
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp white pepper
¼ cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
½ lb bacon, cooked and chopped

Directions

In a large soup pot, melt butter over medium heat.  Add onion and sauté until soft but not brown.

Add potatoes, water, bay leave, and bring to a simmer.  Cook potatoes for 10 – 15 minutes or until cooked.

Add clams with their water, evaporated milk, butter, and seasonings.  Heat through just before simmering point.  Remove from heat, add parsley and serve.  Garnish with bacon.

 * Instead of using butter or olive oil to cook the onions, cook bacon in the soup pot, then drain the fat leaving 2 - 3 tbsp and use it to cook the onion.  I use 2% evaporated milk.  I don't always add butter at the end, it depends what kind of mood I'm in!  Oh, don't worry if you don't have white pepper, I don't have white pepper so I just use freshly ground black pepper.

I hope you enjoy this soup as much as I do!

Photography by: Melissa LeBlanc

2 comments:

  1. No need to try to and stay warm here in Southern Ontario this Victoria Day weekend, surely one of the warmest on record, but I almost can't wait for it to cool down to eat some of Grand Maman's clam chowder! Thanks for the recipe Melissa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome Matt! Looks like I'm not the only one looking for an excuse to make this soup.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete