Sunday, February 24, 2013

Local and in Season: Berry Smoothie in February

 Okay, I know what you're thinking, "Melissa's lost her marbles... berries are not local nor are they in season at this time of year". Well not in this part of the world anyway, but this smoothie is made from local and seasonal berries.  No, I am not growing my own berries indoors in my little sun-filled den... although, I wish I could, but rather thanks to my freezer and a wonderful local winery.

Stocking up on berries is something I typically do every year.  Berry season explodes in the summer months here and I absolutely love it.  My sister and I usually get together and drive out to some local farms just south of Vancouver, buckets and bowls in hand, and head out into the fields to pick berries at the peak of their freshness.  Of course when I get home with my 10 pounds of berries, there's only so many blueberry pancakes that can be made (and I'm not a great baker), so I end up stocking my freezer to have a steady supply for the months ahead.  When my frozen berry stock runs low (which is right about this time of year), I buy a box of local frozen blueberries from a winery in Richmond.

I make the following recipe all the time.  I know what you're thinking again, "it's a little cold outside to enjoy a frosty smoothie", but last weekend was beautiful and sunny and I enjoyed this after a run.   I am currently training to do a half-marathon in June and I find that this smoothie is the ultimate post-run fuel.

How I make this:

1 - 11/2 cups frozen berries
1 banana (fresh or frozen and semi-thawed)
1 cup soy beverage or milk
1/4 cup cranberry juice
1/4 cup plain yogurt

Place all ingredients into a blender and give it a go!

Wish me luck and enjoy :)

If you have a favorite smoothie recipe, please share.

No comments:

Post a Comment